Soba Soup with Spinach
Everyday Food, January 2009
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 35 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 12 ounces shiitake mushrooms (stems removed), caps thinly sliced
- 4 scallions, white and green parts separated and thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon peeled and minced fresh ginger
- Coarse salt
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 package (4.4 ounces) soba (Japanese buckwheat noodles)
- 1 bunch flat-leaf spinach, torn
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium. Add mushrooms, scallion whites, garlic, and ginger; season with salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are tender, 6 minutes.
- Add broth and 3 cups water; bring to a boil. Add soba; reduce to a simmer, and cook 5 minutes. Add spinach; cook just until tender, about 1 minute. Add lime juice and soy sauce. Serve topped with scallion greens.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.