Chef Marcus Samuelsson shared this recipe for plantain chutney from his cookbook, "The Soul of New Cuisine."
The Martha Stewart Show, February Winter 2007
- 1/4 cup Spiced Butter (http://www.marthastewart.com/255549/spiced-butter), or 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 medium baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 2 medium white onions, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 piece (3 inches) fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 tablespoons mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons Green Curry Paste (http://www.marthastewart.com/255550/green-curry-paste)
- 1 teaspoon chile powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom, preferably freshly ground
- 4 green plantains, peeled, quartered lengthwise, and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- Coarse salt
- 2 scallions, trimmed and chopped
- Melt butter with olive oil in a large saute pan over low heat. Add potatoes, stirring to coat, and cook, stirring, until golden brown, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add onion, garlic, ginger, mustard seeds, curry paste, chile powder, and cardamom. Stir well and cook until onions are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Add plantains, and cook until softened, about 10 minutes. Let cool. Season with salt; stir in scallions just before serving. Plantain chutney may be kept in an airtight container, refrigerated up to 3 days.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.