Cupcake Cafe Vanilla Buttercream
Yield Makes enough for one 8-inch layer cake
- 4 cups sugar
- 6 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 1/2 pounds unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar with 1 cup water; cook, stirring occasionally, over medium heat until it registers 236 degrees (soft ball stage) on a candy thermometer. Brush down sides of pan with a wet pastry brush to prevent crystallization.
- Blend eggs in a blender jar. With machine running, very slowly add hot sugar syrup until combined, being careful to not scramble the eggs. Let cool to room temperature.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter until pale and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Gradually add syrup mixture until incorporated. Add vanilla, and beat until desired consistency.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.