Pan-Fried Chicken Cutlets with Indian Yogurt Marinade
This chicken cutlet recipe is adapted from "Martha Stewart's Cooking School."
The Martha Stewart Show, November Fall 2008
- 4 chicken cutlets, each 4 to 5 ounces and 1/4-inch thick
- Indian Yogurt Marinade (http://www.marthastewart.com/255613/indian-yogurt-marinade)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups panko, lightly crushed by hand
- 2 large eggs
- Sunflower or other neutral-tasting oil, for frying
- Lime wedges, for serving
- Fresh cilantro, for serving
- Thinly sliced onion, for serving
- Marinate cutlets: Place cutlets in a shallow dish and pour marinade over, turning the chicken to thoroughly coat. Cover and marinate overnight in the refrigerator. Remove cutlets from the marinade and wipe with paper towels to remove any marinade that might be clinging to them (you want them to be dry before dredging).
- Bread cutlets: Heat oven to 200 degrees while you prepare the three components of the breading. Place flour in a shallow dish and whisk to combine with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. In another shallow dish, whisk to combine panko with 1 teaspoon salt. Lightly beat eggs in a wide, shallow bowl. Dredge one cutlet at a time in the seasoned flour, turning to coat, then shake off excess. Next dip in the eggs, again making sure to coat completely and to allow the excess to drip back into bowl. Then coat with panko, patting the cutlets firmly so the coating adheres but being careful not to coat too thickly. Place coated cutlets on piece of parchment paper or a large baking sheet.
- Pan-fry: Heat 1/4 inch oil in a large skillet on medium heat until it reaches 350 degrees. Working in batches to avoid crowding the pan, cook cutlets until golden brown on the bottom, 1 to 2 minutes. Flip with a flexible thin spatula and fry until the other side is golden brown and cutlets are cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes more, monitoring temperature of oil to maintain 350 degrees. Transfer to a baking sheet lined with a double layer of paper towels and keep warm in the oven.
- Serve: Arrange cutlets on a platter. Garnish with lime wedges, cilantro, and onion.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.