These classic molasses cookies are sure to be a hit in your household.
Martha Stewart Living Television
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground clove
- 1/2 cup shortening, melted and cooled
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup unsulfured molasses
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with silpats.
- Sift together flour, 1 cup of the sugar, baking soda, salt, ground ginger, and ground clove into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the shortening, egg, and molasses. Mix until smooth. Add oatmeal and stir until just incorporated.
- Using a 1-ounce ice cream scoop, scoop batter onto baking sheets, about 3 inches apart. In a small bowl, place 1/4 cup sugar. Dip the bottom of a glass in sugar and press down on each scoop of dough until it is about 1/4-inch thick, dipping the glass in sugar between each one. For your first dip, you may want to press the bottom of the glass onto a cookie. The moisture from the cookie will allow the sugar to stick to the glass.
- Bake until brown and crisp, about 12 minutes. Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.