- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 jumbo eggs, separated, plus 1 jumbo egg white
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons coarse cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 5 tablespoons salted butter, melted
- Vegetable oil cooking spray, for waffle iron
- Preheat a waffle iron on the highest setting. Stir together milk and vinegar; let stand for 5 minutes to thicken. Mix together yolks, flour, sour cream, cornmeal, and baking soda. Stir in milk-vinegar mixture. Stir butter into batter (do not overmix).
- Beat whites with a mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form. Stir half into batter. Gently fold in remaining whites with a rubber spatula.
- Coat waffle iron with cooking spray. Pour 1 cup batter into waffle iron (it should be three-quarters full). Close lid, and cook until waffle is golden and crisp, about 6 minutes.
- Remove waffle from iron. Quickly toss between your hands to release steam and help retain crispness, and serve. Repeat with remaining batter.
Serve warm waffles with butter, maple syrup, and raspberries.