- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Granny Smith apple, cored and cubed
- 1/4 cup chopped lemongrass (from 3 stalks)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 piece (1 inch) fresh ginger, sliced
- 1 fresh red finger chile, thinly sliced
- 3 whole star anise
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup tamari or regular soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons apple juice
- 1 tablespoon unseasoned rice-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon light-brown sugar
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add apple, lemongrass, garlic, ginger, chile, and star anise. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients, and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat, and let cool for 5 minutes before use.
This marinade works best with skirt, flank, or hanger steaks. Marinate the skirt for 4 hours, the flank and hanger overnight, and then grill over medium-high heat to desired doneness.