- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, broken into pieces
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, plus 1 large egg white
- 1 container (2.5 ounces) prune puree (1/4 cup)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, (spooned and leveled)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line bottom and sides of an 8-inch-square baking pan with foil, leaving a 2-inch overhang. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, bring an inch of water to a simmer over low heat. Place chocolate and butter in a medium heatproof bowl; set bowl over pan. Stir occasionally until melted. Remove from heat. Immediately whisk in sugar, egg, egg white, prune puree, vanilla, and salt until smooth.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour and cocoa. Stir into chocolate mixture just until incorporated.
- Spread batter in prepared pan. Bake until top is firm (a toothpick inserted in center will come out with a few moist crumbs), about 30 minutes. Let cool completely in pan. Using foil, lift brownies from pan. Peel off foil. Using a serrated knife, cut into 16 squares.
Look for the puree in the baby-food or baking section at the grocery store.