Martha Stewart Living, November 2008
- 4 1/2 cups water, plus more if needed
- 1 cup white grits (not instant)
- 2 ounces sharp white-cheddar cheese, grated (3/4 cup)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Bring water to a boil in a medium pot. Whisking constantly, slowly add grits to water and cook until mixture starts to thicken, about 1 minute. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, until grits are smooth, thick, and fall easily from the spoon, about 25 minutes.
- Add cheese, salt, and cayenne, and stir just until cheese melts. Serve immediately, or cover and keep grits warm over low heat, stirring occasionally, for up to 1 hour (you may need to adjust the consistency with additional water just before serving).
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.