Stuffed Marrow Bones
- 3 beef marrow bones (3 inches each), split lengthwise
- 4 tablespoons clarified butter
- 2 ounces chanterelle mushrooms, cleaned and diced
- 2 ounces hen of the wood mushrooms, cleaned and diced
- 2 medium porcini mushrooms, cleaned and diced
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 slices white bread, crusts removed, bread cut into 1/3-inch dice
- 2 tablespoons diced beef marrow
- 1 tablespoon minced fines herbes (chervil, parsley, tarragon)
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Add the marrow bones, and boil for 10 minutes. Remove from pot, and set aside to cool. Remove, and discard any excess meat and fibers. Let stand until completely dry.
- In a medium skillet, heat 2 tablespoons clarified butter over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are tender.
- In a second medium skillet, heat remaining 2 tablespoons clarified butter over medium heat. Add bread, and cook, stirring frequently, until brown on all sides, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate to drain.
- In a medium skillet, combine marrow, sauteed mushrooms, and croutons over medium heat. Toss to combine, and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in fines herbes. Mound this mixture into each marrow bone.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.