Spaghettini with Broccoli Rabe Pesto, Calamari and Ligurian Olives
This delicious pasta recipe is courtesy of Convivio chef Michael White.
The Martha Stewart Show, May 2009
- 1 pound broccoli rabe, trimmed
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 pound calamari, cleaned and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1/2 cup Ligurian olives, pitted
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 pound spaghettini
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Prepare an ice-water bath. Add broccoli rabe to boiling water and cook until tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Drain and immediately transfer to ice-water bath until cool. Drain and transfer to the bowl of a food processor along with, 2 cloves garlic and pine nuts. Season with salt and pepper and process pesto until smooth.
- With the machine running, slowly add 3/4 cup olive oil. Transfer pesto to a medium bowl and stir in Parmesan.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add pasta and cook, until al dente, according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Slice remaining 2 garlic cloves and add to skillet along with pepper flakes; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add calamari and olives; cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add wine and cook until almost evaporated.
- Drain pasta, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid; add pasta and reserved liquid to skillet. Add 1 cup pesto (reserving remaining pesto for another use) and toss until pasta is coated. Divide evenly between 4 bowls; serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.