Yield Makes about 1/2 cup
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, halved lengthwise, seeds scraped and reserved
- 2 teaspoons Marsala wine
- Stir together sugar, vanilla bean and seeds, and 1 1/2 cups water in a small saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally to dissolve sugar.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer until mixture has reduced to about 1/2 cup and has the consistency of a thin syrup, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Pour syrup through a medium-mesh sieve into a small bowl. Let cool slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in Marsala, and set aside until ready to use.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.