Making sangria may take more effort than icing down a cerveza, but this sweet-tart version of the ultimate summer drink will be as memorable as a Barcelona sunset. (Well, almost.)
Blueprint, May/June 2007
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 whole vanilla bean, halved and scraped
- 5 stalks rhubarb, 4 coarsely chopped, 1 cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, hulled and halved
- 4 ounces brandy
- 1 bottle sparkling rose
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon superfine sugar
- 2 limes, juiced
- In a saucepan, combine granulated sugar, 1 cup water, and the vanilla bean. Simmer until sugar dissolves, turn off heat, and add chopped rhubarb. Cover for 5 minutes. Break up rhubarb with a spoon and set aside for 30 minutes, then strain.
- Crush 12 berries into the brandy in a bowl; let sit for 30 minutes. Strain. Combine brandy mixture, rose, red wine, superfine sugar, lime juice, and the rhubarb syrup in a pitcher, and stir in rhubarb slices and rest of strawberries. Serves 6.
Recipe by Christine Albano
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.