- 3/4 pound cottage cheese
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup creme fraiche or sour cream
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
For the garnish
For the strawberry sauce
- 1 quart strawberries or two 10-ounce packages frozen berries
- 1 cup sugar (1/2 cup if using frozen berries)
- 2 tablespoons kirsch
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the cottage cheese, cream cheese, and creme fraiche. Beat until smooth. Add the confectioners' sugar. Whip the cream and fold it into the cheese mixture.
- Line a 3-cup heart mold with cheesecloth, letting the cloth hang over the edges. Spoon the mixture into the lined mold; fold the cheesecloth over the top and put the mold on a tray in the refrigerator overnight.
- To make strawberry sauce, mash the berries. Cook over low flame with sugar until soft. Press through a fine sieve, add kirsch, and chill.
- To serve, unfold cheesecloth and invert mold on a serving plate. Remove cheesecloth. Garnish with strawberries and pour some sauce around coeur. Serve additional sauce in a bowl or pitcher.
This recipe serves more than required, but it is just as good the next day.