Crisp Puff Pastry Tops
This recipe for crisp puff pastry tops is courtesy of Martha Stewart.
The Martha Stewart Show, September Summer 2007
- 1 pound best-quality frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1/4 cup sugar, plus more for rolling
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- Sprinkle work surface with sugar. Place puff pastry on top of sugar. Sprinkle top of puff pastry with sugar. Roll puff pastry into a 12-by-14-inch rectangle. Using a round cookie cutter, cut six 4 1/2-inch rounds; transfer to prepared baking sheet.
- With a sharp knife, score each pastry, making curved lines every 1/2-inch from the center out towards the edges, to resemble a pinwheel. Transfer baking sheets to a refrigerator until well chilled, at least 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, beat together egg yolk and cream. Brush tops of chilled pastry rounds, leaving a 1/4-inch border around the edge; take care not to let any egg mixture drip over cut edges, as it will prevent pastry from puffing evenly. Sprinkle each round with 2 teaspoons sugar. Bake until crisp and caramelized, 15 to 18 minutes. Let cool on baking sheet.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.