Martha Stewart Living, June
- 4 chicken legs and thighs (about 3 pounds)
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 pounds small ripe apricots (10 to 12), quartered and pitted
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 cup honey, plus more to taste
- 1 1/2 cups homemade or low-sodium canned chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups couscous
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup whole almonds, coarsely chopped
- Sesame seeds, for garnish
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until hot, but not smoking. Add the chicken, and cook until browned, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate. Pour off all but a tablespoon of oil.
- Reduce heat to medium; add onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 7 minutes. Add garlic; saute briefly. Add apricots, cinnamon, saffron, ginger, coriander, 2/3 cup water, and 2 tablespoons honey; season with salt.
- Return chicken to skillet; bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook until chicken is cooked through and liquid is thickened, 45 to 50 minutes. Add remaining 2 tablespoons honey and salt to taste.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, bring stock to a boil. Place couscous and butter in a medium bowl. Pour stock over couscous; cover with plastic wrap. Let stand until the couscous absorbs all the stock, about 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork, and season with salt. Stir in almonds. Serve couscous with chicken, and garnish with sesame seeds.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.