- 4 tablespoons butter, melted, plus more at room temperature for baking sheet
- 8 small trout fillets, with skin (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried sage
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup plain breadcrumbs
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- Heat the broiler. Generously butter a baking sheet. Arrange the trout fillets, skin side down, on the prepared baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, combine melted butter, sage, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Using a pastry brush, coat each fillet with seasoned butter, and then sprinkle breadcrumbs on top.
- Broil fillets as close to the heat as possible, turning the baking sheet as needed for even cooking, until the fish is golden brown on top, 6 to 8 minutes. Serve with lemon wedges on the side.
As with most dried herbs, sage should be stored in a cool, dark place. It is available ground, but the crumbled form has a sharper flavor.