Roasted Potatoes and Mushrooms with Melted Taleggio Cheese
Woodsy mushrooms and tangy Taleggio, a buttery Italian cheese, contrast deliciously with crisp roasted potatoes. Bake the ingredients in two dishes so you can have one at each end of the table--people may not want to share. Many mushroom varieties work well in this dish, including hon shimeji (brown beech), chanterelle, oyster, and cremini.
Martha Stewart Living, January 2010
- 8 ounces assorted mushrooms, thinly sliced (about 3 cups)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh sage, coarsely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, halved lengthwise
- 2 pounds small fingerling potatoes, scrubbed and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 6 ounces Taleggio cheese (rind removed), sliced
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toss mushrooms with 4 teaspoons oil and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Season with pepper. Toss with sage and garlic. Spread on a rimmed baking sheet, and roast until mushrooms are golden brown and tender, about 15 minutes.
- Toss potatoes with remaining 5 teaspoons oil and 3/4 teaspoon salt. Season with pepper. Divide potatoes between 2 rimmed baking sheets, spreading in an even layer. Roast, rotating pans halfway through (tossing if browning too quickly), until dark golden brown and crisp, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Preheat broiler with rack 6 inches from heat source. Toss together mushrooms and potatoes, and divide evenly between two 5-by-7-inch oval baking dishes. Top each with Taleggio, and broil until cheese melts and is pale golden, 2 to 3 minutes.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.