Jasmine Rice with Shiitakes and Scallions
Simple aromatics and jasmine rice add flavor and fragrance to this light, satisfying meal that requires little cleanup.
Martha Stewart Living, January 2009
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup jasmine rice, rinsed well
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded, caps cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon rice-wine vinegar
- 1 scallion, cut into 2-inch-long pieces, thinly sliced lengthwise
- Bring water and rice to a boil in a small pot. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until water is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in 1 tablespoon oil, and season with salt and pepper. Cover, and let stand.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining 4 tablespoons oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add shiitakes in a single layer, and cook, stirring often, until browned and crisp, about 3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium, and cook for 2 minutes more. Add garlic, and cook until light gold, about 2 minutes. Stir in vinegar, and season with salt and pepper. Transfer rice to a platter, top with shiitake mixture, and sprinkle with scallions. Serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.