Herbed Mushroom Custards
For smooth and creamy custards, bake them in a bain marie (a water bath). This method ensures even, gentle cooking.
Everyday Food, December 2008
- Prep Time 30 minutes
- Total Time 1 hour
- Serves 8
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 1/2 pounds mixed mushrooms (such as button, crimini, and shiitake), trimmed and thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms begin to brown, 18 to 20 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, whisk together cream, egg, parsley, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Stir in mushrooms, and divide among eight 6-ounce ramekins.
- Line a roasting pan (just large enough to hold ramekins) with a dish towel; place ramekins on towel. Transfer to oven, and pour enough boiling water in pan to come halfway up sides of ramekins. Bake until custards are just set, about 30 minutes. Carefully remove ramekins from water.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.