Winter Salad with Roasted Cherry Tomatoes
Martha Stewart Living, January
- 10 ounces (about 1 pint) cherry tomatoes (or substitute grape tomatoes)
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 stem fresh rosemary
- 9 cups torn mixed red lettuce, such as red leaf, lola rossa, red Boston, and red oak
- 2 heads Belgian endive, cut lengthwise into very thin strips
- 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted
- Shaved Pecorino Romano cheese, for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place tomatoes on a rimmed baking sheet. Add 2 tablespoons oil, 1 tablespoon vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and the rosemary, and toss. Roast until tomatoes are soft and beginning to collapse, 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer all but 4 tomatoes to a small bowl. With the back of a spoon, gently crush remaining 4 tomatoes on baking sheet. Separate skins from pulp, and discard skins and rosemary.
- Scrape tomato pulp and liquid into a bowl. Add remaining 2 tablespoons vinegar. Add remaining 1/4 cup oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking until emulsified. Season with salt and pepper.
- Combine lettuce, endive, and walnuts in a large bowl. Toss with 1/4 cup of the tomato vinaigrette. Top with reserved tomatoes and cheese. Drizzle with remaining dressing. Serve immediately.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.