Poached Tropical Fruit Over Sorbet
The black peppercorns give this cool dessert a little kick.
Photography: Dana Gallagher
Martha Stewart Living, November 1998
- 2 cups unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cracked black peppercorns
- 1/2 pineapple, core removed and thinly sliced
- 2 mangoes, peel and pits removed, thinly sliced
- 3 kiwis, each peeled and cut into 8 wedges
- 1 pint passion-fruit sorbet
- Combine pineapple juice, sugar, 1 cup water, and peppercorns in a small saucepan. Set over high heat, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, and cook until flavorful, about 30 minutes. Remove pan from heat, and pass liquid through a sieve set over a heatproof bowl. Discard solids.
- Have ready an ice bath. Add the pineapple, mango, and kiwi to the poaching liquid, and let stand 15 minutes. Set the bowl into the ice bath; chill, stirring occasionally.
- When ready to serve, divide sorbet, chilled fruit, and remaining poaching liquid among four dessert plates.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.