Orange Slices in Lime Syrup
Everyday Food, March/April 2003
- Prep Time 10 minutes
- Total Time 35 minutes
- Serves 4
- 4 oranges
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup dry white wine, or water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons anise seeds, (optional)
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lime zest
- Using a sharp paring knife, peel oranges following the curve of the fruit, and remove as much bitter white pith as possible. Slice oranges into 1/2-inch-thick rounds; place in a large bowl.
- In a medium saucepan, bring 1 cup water, sugar, wine, and anise seeds, if using, to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium, and cook until liquid reduces to 1/2 cup, about 25 minutes.
- Strain the syrup; stir in lime juice and zest. Pour over oranges.
- Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until chilled, at least 30 minutes.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.