Spicy Poblano Rice
The darker the poblano, the richer the flavor, which varies from mild to strong.
Everyday Food, July/August 2003
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 40 minutes
- Serves 4
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 poblano chile, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, plus 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup parsley leaves, plus 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup white rice
- In a saucepan over medium heat, warm 1 tablespoon canola oil. Add onion and poblano chile; cook 4 minutes.
- Transfer to a blender. Add 2 cups water, 1/4 cup each cilantro and parsley leaves; season with salt and pepper. Puree until smooth, 1 minute.
- In same pan, heat remaining tablespoon oil and rice. Cook, stirring, until lightly toasted, about 2 minutes. Stir in puree. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cook, covered, until tender, 15 to 17 minutes.
- Remove from heat; let stand 5 minutes. Fluff rice; stir in 1 tablespoon each chopped cilantro and parsley.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.