Curried Chicken Legs with Carrots, Rice, and Lime
In this tasty chicken recipe, lime zest adds fragrance to rice, while lime juice gives carrots a citrus kick.
Everyday Food, May 2007
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 1 hour
- Yield Serves 4
- 4 whole chicken legs (drumsticks and thighs), about 3 pounds total
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 pounds carrots, cut into 2-inch lengths, halved lengthwise if thick
- 1 cup brown or white basmati rice
- 2 limes, zest slivered and juice squeezed
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees. Place chicken in the center of a large rimmed baking sheet; season with curry powder, salt, and pepper. Scatter carrots around chicken. Roast, occasionally brushing chicken and tossing carrots with pan drippings, until chicken is cooked through, and an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part of thigh (avoiding bone) registers 165 degrees, 35 to 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan with a lid, bring 2 cups water to a boil; season with salt and pepper. Add rice; return to a boil. Stir, and reduce heat to low. Cover, and simmer 18 to 20 minutes. Remove from heat, and scatter lime zest over rice. Cover pan, and let steam 5 to 10 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to a plate. Sprinkle lime juice over carrots (still on hot baking sheet); toss, scraping up and incorporating any browned bits. Fluff rice gently with a fork; serve with chicken and carrots.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.