Pecan Shortbread Bars
Everyday Food, May 2006
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Total Time 1 hour 20 minutes
Yield Makes 18
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 1 cup (spooned and leveled) all-purpose flour, plus more for preparation
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup cold (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8-inch square baking pan with aluminum foil, leaving an overhang on all sides.
- In a food processor, pulse pecans until finely chopped. Transfer to a bowl; set aside. In processor, blend flour, sugar, butter, and salt until moist clumps form. Add reserved pecans; pulse 2 or 3 times, just to incorporate.
- Press dough evenly into the bottom of prepared pan (if dough is sticky, dip fingers in flour). With a floured fork, prick dough every 1/2 inch. Bake until lightly golden, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Cool 5 minutes in pan. Use foil overhang to lift shortbread from pan onto cutting board. With a serrated knife, carefully cut warm shortbread into 18 bars (6 rows by 3 rows). Remove from foil; cool bars completely on a rack before serving.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.