Crisp Black Cod with Skordalia and Roasted Beets
Beets and skordalia, a potato-vinegar puree, are a classic Greek pair, even better with pan-seared black cod.
Martha Stewart Living, May 2009
For the Cod
- 1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 1/4 cup white-wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup safflower oil
- 1/4 cup club soda
- Coarse salt
- 3 bunches (1 pound) mixed baby beets, scrubbed well and trimmed, beet greens reserved and roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 black cod fillets (6 ounces each), skinned
- Fresh dill, for garnish
- Make the skordalia: Bring potatoes and garlic to a boil in a medium pot of salted water. Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes. Drain, and let cool.
- Peel garlic, and mash with potatoes. Pulse potatoes and vinegar in a food processor. Working quickly, add safflower oil in a steady stream, then club soda. Transfer to a bowl, and season with salt. Cover, and refrigerate.
- Make the beets: Bring beets to a boil in a small pot of salted water. Reduce heat, and simmer until tender, about 25 minutes. Drain, let cool, peel, and cut into quarters. Heat olive oil in large saute pan over medium heat. Add garlic; cook until golden, about 2 minutes. Add beet greens, and cook, stirring, until wilted, about 3 minutes. Stir in beets. Season with salt and pepper.
- Make the cod: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Heat olive oil in an ovenproof skillet over high heat. Cook cod on 1 side until bottom is golden brown, about 5 minutes. Transfer skillet to oven, and roast until fish is opaque, 5 minutes. Serve, crisp side up, with skordalia, beets, and greens. Garnish with dill.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.