Polenta Gratin with Mushroom Bolognese
This tasty recipe for polenta gratin is courtesy of Tom Colicchio.
The Martha Stewart Show, September Fall 2008
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 rib celery, peeled and chopped
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and very finely chopped
- 1/2 to 3/4 pound mixed wild mushrooms, cleaned, trimmed, and chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tomato, seeded and diced
- 1 cup store-bought low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 cup polenta
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 to 4 tablespoons freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- In a large skillet, heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrot, and celery; season with salt and pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add mushrooms and thyme leaves; cook, stirring frequently, until mushrooms are almost tender, about 3 minutes. Add tomato and cook, about 2 minutes more.
- Add stock to skillet, 2 tablespoons at a time, bringing liquid to a simmer before each addition. Simmer until thickened, about 30 minutes. Remove from heat and set mushroom bolognese aside to cool.
- In a medium bowl, mix polenta with 2 tablespoons water to moisten. Bring 4 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Add a pinch of salt to boiling water and slowly stir in polenta. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, and immediately reduce to a simmer. Cook polenta, stirring occasionally, until no longer grainy, about 30 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in olive oil and season with salt.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spoon half of the polenta into a medium baking dish and cover with reserved mushroom bolognese. Top with remaining polenta and sprinkle with Parmigiano Reggiano.
- Transfer baking dish to oven and bake until top is golden, about 40 minutes. Serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.