Luscious Apricot Squares
Submitted by Tina Ireland of Arkadelphia, Arkansas. This bar-cookie recipe was handed down to Tina by her mother, Bette.
Martha Stewart Living, February
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for the pan
- 2/3 cup dried apricots
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup light-brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Butter an 8-by-8- by-2-inch baking pan, and set aside.
- Place apricots in a small saucepan with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to simmer, and cook until plumped, about 15 minutes. Drain through a fine sieve, and chop fine. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine 1 cup flour, butter, and granulated sugar. Using a handheld electric mixer on medium speed, blend until crumbly and combined. Transfer mixture to prepared pan. Using your hands, pat crust evenly into pan. Bake until golden brown, about 25 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool.
- Combine remaining 1/3 cup flour, reserved chopped apricots, brown sugar, eggs, walnuts, baking powder, vanilla, and salt. Using a handheld electric mixer on medium speed, beat until combined; scrape down sides of bowl twice. Pour mixture over crust, and return to oven. Bake until top is golden, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer pan to a wire rack to cool. Cut into 2-inch squares. Dust with confectioners' sugar.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.