Lady Baltimore Frosting and Filling
This Lady Baltimore cake frosting and filling recipe comes from "I Like You," by Amy Sedaris.
The Martha Stewart Show
Yield Makes enough for one 8-inch cake
- 1/2 cup raisins, chopped
- 1/4 cup rum, kirsch, or warm tea
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large egg whites
- Pinch salt
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup chopped dried figs
- Place raisins and liquor or tea in a small bowl; set aside. In a small saucepan, bring sugar and a little more than 1/2 cup water to a boil. Continue boiling until syrup reaches 234 degrees to 238 degrees on a candy thermometer (soft-ball stage).
- Place egg whites in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, and beat on low speed until foamy. Add salt and beat on medium-high speed until stiff but not dry; do not overbeat.
- With mixer running, add syrup to whites in a stream, beating on high speed until no longer steaming, about 3 minutes. Add vanilla and beat until well incorporated.
- For the filling, transfer one-third of the frosting to a medium bowl. Drain raisins and stir into the frosting along with walnuts and figs.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.