Roasted Chicken and Plums
Roast some of the plums alongside the chicken. The remaining plums should be roasted on a separate baking sheet for a side dish.
Martha Stewart Living, September 2009
- 2 whole chickens (about 4 pounds each)
- Sea salt, preferably Maldon
- 10 sprigs rosemary
- 3 pounds small plums, halved and pitted
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Season chickens with salt. Stuff each cavity with 2 sprigs rosemary. Tie legs together with kitchen twine. Place each chicken in an ovenproof skillet (preferably cast-iron), and place 2 sprigs rosemary around each chicken. (Alternatively, you can also roast the 2 chickens together in a roasting pan.) Toss plums with honey in a large bowl.
- Roast chickens for 20 minutes. Remove from oven, and scatter some of the plums around chickens. Return to oven, and roast for 20 minutes more. Spread remaining plums on a rimmed baking sheet, dot with butter, and top with remaining 2 sprigs rosemary. Transfer to oven. Continue to roast chickens until an instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part of the thigh reads 165 degrees; meanwhile, roast plums until soft and brown around edges, about 25 minutes. Let chickens rest for 10 minutes before serving.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.