Shaved-Artichoke and Parsley Salad with Serrano Ham
Food field trip finding the heart of artichokes
Martha Stewart Living, April 2007
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, plus 1/2 lemon (about 1 1/2 lemons total)
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt or sea salt
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus 1 teaspoon
- 2 medium artichokes
- Freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 cup loosely packed fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 pound aged manchego cheese, cut into small chunks
- 12 thin slices serrano ham or prosciutto
- Flatbread or crackers, for serving
- Whisk lemon juice, salt, and oil in a medium bowl; set aside. Prepare the artichoke hearts: Working with 1 artichoke at a time, snap off tough outer leaves until half-green-half-yellow leaves are exposed. Using a chef's knife, cut off dark-green top until just pale part remains. Using a paring knife, peel dark-green layer from base and stem; trim stem. Scrape out purple leaves and fuzzy choke using a spoon, and discard. Halve artichoke lengthwise. Rub artichoke with 1/2 lemon as you work. Using a mandoline, cut artichoke heart into paper-thin slices, and add to lemon-oil mixture; toss.
- Season artichokes with pepper. Add parsley and cheese; toss. Divide salad and ham among 4 plates, and serve with flatbread or crackers.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.