Cumin-Dusted Shrimp with Black-Eyed Peas and Collard Greens
Martha Stewart Living, January 2004
- 1 cup (6 ounces) dried black-eyed peas
- 1 small onion (about 1 cup), finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 (about 6 ounces) red bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/4 teaspoons coarse salt, plus a pinch
- Pinch of red-pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 20 large shrimp (about 1 pound), peeled and deveined
- Vegetable-oil cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3/4 pound (about 6 cups) collard greens, stemmed and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch strips
- Cover black-eyed peas with cold water in a medium bowl. Let soak 1 hour or overnight; drain.
- Place black-eyed peas, onion, celery, bell pepper, one-third of garlic, bay leaf, 1 teaspoon thyme, and 1 1/2 quarts cold water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium, and cook until beans are soft, about 40 minutes. Drain in a colander over a bowl; reserve 1/4 cup cooking liquid. Discard bay leaf.
- Transfer beans to a medium bowl. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon cumin, 1 teaspoon salt, and red-pepper flakes. Stir in vinegar and reserved liquid. Cover to keep warm.
- Toss shrimp with remaining 1/2 teaspoon thyme, 1 teaspoon cumin, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl. Lightly coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; place over medium-high heat. Place shrimp in skillet in a single layer; cook, without turning, until shrimp are pink on one side, 2 to 3 minutes. Turn, and cook until shrimp are opaque, about 2 minutes. Transfer shrimp to a plate, and loosely cover with foil. Keep skillet on stove with heat off.
- Wipe skillet clean with a paper towel. Add oil and remaining garlic to skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add collard greens, a pinch of salt, and 2 tablespoons water. Cook, stirring occasionally, until collard greens are bright green and crisp-tender, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Divide beans and collard greens among four plates, and top each serving with 5 shrimp.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.