Grilled Tuna Steaks
Look for moist, translucent tuna that's shiny pink or red; avoid fish with any hint of browning.
Martha Stewart Living, July 2004
- 4 one-inch-thick tuna steaks, (about 4 ounces each)
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for grill
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 6 anchovy fillets, cut into thirds
- 1 medium clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh basil
- Preheat a ridged stovetop grill pan or outdoor grill. Season tuna with salt and pepper. Brush grill pan or grill with oil. Grill tuna until well browned but still rare, about 2 minutes per side; the flesh will be firm and tight. For medium rare, cook 1 minute more, until the flesh begins to pull apart. For medium, cook 2 minutes more, until the flesh flakes apart.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine lemon zest and juice, anchovies, oil, and garlic. Bring to boil over medium heat, remove from heat, and stir in oregano and basil. Serve immediately with sauce spooned over tuna.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.