Rolled Flank Steak
Everyday Food, March 2004
- Prep Time 30 minutes
- Total Time 1 hour 40 minutes
- Serves 4
- 1 1/2 pounds flank steak
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese, (1/2 cup)
- 4 scallions, sliced (1/3 cup)
- 2 ounces (1/4 cup) roasted red peppers, cut into thin strips
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees with rack in center. Between two sheets of plastic wrap, pound steak to 1/2-inch thickness with a meat mallet or heavy skillet. Using a sharp knife, score the steak on one side in a cross-hatched pattern. In a large bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, and garlic. Marinate at least 20 minutes or up to overnight.
- Remove steak from marinade. Lay steak on cutting board, scored side down, with a short end facing edge of work surface. Cover steak with cheese, scallions, and peppers, leaving 1/2-inch border on the long sides and 2-inch border at the far short end. Season with salt and pepper. Starting from closest side, roll up tightly. Using kitchen twine, tie steak crosswise. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place, seam side down in a baking dish or on a rimmed baking sheet, and roast until juices run clear, 35 to 40 minutes for medium rare. Let rest 10 minutes, and remove string before slicing.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.