- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 1 (8 ounce) rib-eye steak
- 5 cups (torn from a 6-ounce head) leaf lettuce
- 4 large radishes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced (1/3 cup)
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- Make salad dressing: In a medium bowl, stir together 1/4 teaspoon chili powder, 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander, mustard, 2 teaspoons olive oil, and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper; set aside.
- Prepare steak: Rub meat with remaining chili powder and coriander; season with salt and pepper. In a small skillet, heat remaining teaspoon oil over medium-high. Cook steak, turning it over halfway through, until browned and cooked to medium-rare, about 4 minutes.
- Assemble: Add lettuce, radishes, and onion to bowl with dressing; toss to coat. Place salad on dinner plate, and top with steak.
You can also use this rub on boneless, skinless chicken breast or a thick cut of salmon or other full-flavored fish; serve over the salad just as you would the steak.