Everyday Food, March 2005
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Total Time 1 hour 20 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 4 scallions coarsely, chopped
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 10 ounces fresh baby spinach
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 1 can (15.5 ounces) pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup prepared salsa (mild or medium)
- 8 ounces pepper Jack cheese, grated (about 2 cups)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees (375 degrees if using disposable nonstick bakeware; increase baking time to 35 - 40 minutes). In a food processor, combine cilantro, scallions, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper with as much spinach as will fit; pulse, adding remaining spinach in batches, until coarsely chopped.
- Coat an 8-inch square baking dish with cooking spray. Lay 4 tortillas in bottom of dish (they will overlap slightly). Layer with half of beans, salsa, spinach mixture, and cheese; repeat with remaining ingredients, ending with cheese and pressing in gently.
- Cover dish with foil; place on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake until bubbling, 25 to 30 minutes; remove foil, and continue baking until golden, 15 to 20 minutes more. Cool 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.