These tender cookies are made with cream and studded with sweet strawberries for a portable version of a classic dessert.
Martha Stewart Living, June 2009
- Yield Makes about 3 dozen
- 12 ounces strawberries, hulled and cut into 1/4-inch dice (2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 3 ounces (6 tablespoons) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- Sanding sugar, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine strawberries, lemon juice, and 2 tablespoons granulated sugar. Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and remaining 7 tablespoons granulated sugar in a large bowl. Cut in the butter with a pastry cutter, or rub in with your fingers, until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in cream until dough starts to come together, then stir in strawberry mixture.
- Using a 1 1/2-inch ice cream scoop or a tablespoon, drop dough onto baking sheets lined with parchment, spacing evenly apart. Sprinkle with sanding sugar, and bake until golden brown, 24 to 25 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack, and let cool. Cookies are best served immediately, but can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 day.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.