Chicken, Feta, and Pistachio Salad
Toasted pistachios and spiced chicken elevate this winter salad to a special main course; salty feta complements the sweet oranges.
Everyday Food, December 2008
- Prep Time 30 minutes
- Total Time 30 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- 1/2 cup shelled, unsalted pistachios
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup white-wine vinegar
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 4 chicken cutlets (about 1 pound total)
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 head romaine lettuce, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup packed fresh parsley
- 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces feta, crumbled
- 2 navel oranges (peel and white pith removed), halved and thinly sliced
- In a medium skillet, toast pistachios over medium heat, stirring frequently, until fragrant and golden, about 7 minutes. Transfer to a plate; let cool. In a large bowl, whisk together 1/4 cup oil and vinegar; season with salt and pepper, and set dressing aside.
- Heat remaining tablespoon oil in skillet over medium. Sprinkle chicken with coriander; season with salt and pepper. Cook (in batches if necessary), turning once, until opaque throughout, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a cutting board, and thinly slice crosswise.
- Add pistachios, lettuce, parsley, and scallions to bowl with dressing, and toss to combine. Divide among serving bowls; top with chicken, feta, and oranges.
Cooking nuts in a skillet just until golden makes them extra crunchy and intensifies their flavor. Remove them from the skillet right after toasting to prevent overbrowning.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.