Mario Bosquez's Mexican Chocolate Cake
Mario Bosquez, host of "Living Today" on Martha Stewart Living Radio (Sirius channel 112) shares his recipe for Mexican chocolate cake.
- 1 stick margarine
- 1/2 cup oil
- 4 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups unsifted flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup sour milk (buttermilk)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Mario Bosquez's Mexican Chocolate Icing (http://www.marthastewart.com/284221/mario-bosquezs-mexican-chocolate-icing)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine margarine, oil, cocoa, and water in sauce pan. Heat until cocoa is melted.
- Combine flour, baking soda, sugar, milk, eggs, cinnamon, and vanilla in a large bowl. Combine with first mixture.
- Pour batter into a greased 12-by-18-inch cake pan. Bake 20 to 25 minutes. Five minutes before the cake is done, prepare the icing. Let cake cool before you add the icing.
- Addtional notes from Mario: Baking in a ceramic baker is best; serve from the bake pan and after you ice your cake encircle the edge of the cake with pecan halves.
Addtional notes from Mario: Baking in a ceramic baker is best; serve from the bake pan and, after you ice your cake, encircle the edge of the cake with pecan halves. Also, in my experience, making this cake with butter instead of margarine (frosting included) makes for a more delicious version.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.