- 1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 2 1/2 cups packed light-brown sugar
- 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Confectioners' sugar, colored sugar, cocoa, or crushed toffee bits, for decoration
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter bottom of a 9-by-13-inch baking pan; cut a piece of waxed paper to fit the bottom, and press it onto the buttered surface. In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine butter, brown sugar, and chocolate. Microwave on high for 1 minute; stir. If the chocolate is not softened, continue to microwave at 10-second intervals, removing before it's completely melted.
- Beat eggs and vanilla into the melted chocolate with a wooden spoon. Beat in flour and salt. Pour batter into the prepared pan, and smooth the top. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out almost clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool.
- Run a knife around the edge of the pan. Turn the brownie cake out onto a baking sheet, and flip over onto a work surface. Cut out the brownies with a 2 1/2-inch heart-shaped cookie cutter. Dust with cocoa if you like. Form the scraps into 1-inch balls, and roll them in the coating of your choice.
If you don't have a heart-shaped cutter, you can cut the brownies into squares or other shapes.