Phyllo Knots with Goat Cheese and Spinach
Once formed, phyllo knots may be frozen, in an airtight container, for one week.
Christmas Vol. 3 1999
- 6 large scallions, white and green parts, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Two (10-ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed, liquid reserved, or 3 pounds fresh spinach, washed and stems removed
- 1 bunch flat-leaf parsley, leaves (about 1 cup), roughly chopped
- 1 bunch dill, (about 1 cup), roughly chopped
- 12 ounces goat cheese, crumbled, room temperature
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 boxes (1-pound each) phyllo dough, (17-by-11 1/2-inch sheets)
- 2 cups (4 sticks) unsalted butter, melted and kept warm
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook scallions in oil until soft. Add spinach and reserved liquid; cook until warm. Transfer mixture to a thin kitchen towel or cheesecloth; wring liquid into a bowl. Reserve 2 tablespoons liquid, discard the rest. Cool spinach to room temperature.
- Process spinach, reserved spinach liquid, parsley, dill, goat cheese, eggs, and salt and pepper to taste in a food processor until combined.
- Heat oven to 425 degrees.with two racks. Fill a pastry bag fitted with a #2 tip (or a 3/8-inch-diameter coupler) with spinach mixture. Set aside. Place phyllo flat between two damp kitchen towels. Lay another damp kitchen towel on work surface. Place one phyllo sheet on towel (re-cover remaining phyllo to prevent drying). Brush with butter. Place a second sheet on top; brush with butter. Cut phyllo in half lengthwise and then crosswise to make four pieces. Pipe a line of filling across top of each piece, leaving 1 1/4 inches on each end. Roll each piece into a tube starting with top-filling side and rolling down toward you, brushing phyllo with butter. Brush completed tube with butter; gently tie into a loose knot.
- Place on parchment-lined baking sheets. Brush tops with butter. Bake until golden, 15 to 20 minutes, rotating pans halfway through baking. Transfer to cooling racks. Serve warm or at room temperature.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.