Cobb Club Sandwich
You'll need both hands to grab hold of this double-decker sandwich.
Yield Makes 4 double-decker sandwiches
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 whole boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed of fat
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 strips thick-cut bacon
- 12 slices brioche, or challah
- 1 ripe avocado
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/3 cup homemade mayonnaise, or prepared
- 1 head green-leaf lettuce
- 1 tomato, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound blue cheese, crumbled
- Combine oil, vinegar, and mustard in a small bowl. Season chicken with salt and pepper, and place in the bowl, stirring to coat. Marinate, covered, for at least a half an hour.
- Preheat a grill or a grill pan to medium hot. Grill chicken until cooked through, 7 minutes on each side. Let cool slightly; slice thinly at an angle.
- In a large heavy skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp, and drain on paper towels. Toast bread under a broiler until lightly golden on both sides. Quarter and thinly slice avocado, and drizzle with lemon juice to prevent discoloration.
- Assemble the sandwich in this order: bread, mayonnaise, lettuce, tomato, avocado, bread, mayonnaise, chicken, bacon, cheese, mayonnaise, bread. Serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.