Spiced Pastry Cream
This pastry cream is the filling for Boston "Scream" Pie.
Martha Stewart Living, October 2008
Yield Makes about 1 1/2 cups
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 ounce (1 tablespoon) unsalted butter
- Whisk yolks and sugar in a small bowl. Mix cornstarch and flour in another small bowl. Bring milk, salt, and spices to a boil in a medium saucepan. Remove saucepan from heat. Whisk cornstarch mixture into yolk mixture, and then immediately whisk 2 tablespoons milk mixture into yolk mixture. Whisk in remaining milk mixture in a slow, steady stream.
- Return mixture to saucepan. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until it begins to thicken and registers 160 degrees on a candy thermometer, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Strain mixture through a fine sieve into a heatproof bowl, and whisk in vanilla and butter until smooth. Press a piece of plastic wrap directly on surface, and refrigerate until cold and thick, at least 1 hour (or up to 1 day).
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.