Grilled Tomato Bruschetta
Use a paring knife to core a tomato: Insert tip next to stem, and then make a shallow cut all around; remove stem.
Everyday Food, July/August 2006
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Total Time 50 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for grates
- 1 1/2 pounds plum tomatoes, cored and halved lengthwise
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- 4 thick slices country bread
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, cut into thin strips
- Heat grill to medium-high; lightly oil grates. In a large bowl, toss tomatoes with 1 tablespoon oil; season generously with salt and pepper. Arrange tomatoes on grill, cut sides down first. Cover and grill until soft and charred, 5 to 10 minutes per side. With a metal spatula, return tomatoes to bowl. When cool enough to handle, use kitchen shears to snip tomatoes into smaller pieces.
- To tomatoes, add garlic, vinegar, and red-pepper flakes; season with more salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat to medium. Brush bread with remaining oil; grill on both sides until beginning to char, about 2 minutes per side. Cut bread slices in half; divide tomato mixture evenly over each. Top with basil and serve.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.