These salads make a refreshing starter. To remove the pit
of an avocado without damaging the flesh, halve the avocado
lengthwise, then gently tap the sharp edge of a large knife
into the pit. Twist the knife, holding on to the avocado firmly,
and the pit should come out easily.
Martha Stewart Living, July 2005
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 15 minutes
- Serves 4
- 1/2 cup plus 2 teaspoons lemon juice (2 lemons)
- 2 avocados, preferably Hass, halved lengthwise and pitted
- 2 red grapefruit
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon, plus more for garnish
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Lime wedges, for serving
- Brush 2 teaspoons lemon juice over flesh of avocados; set aside.
- Remove peel and pith from grapefruit using a sharp paring knife. Working over a medium bowl to catch the juice, carefully carve out segments from between membranes. Transfer grapefruit segments to a small bowl; set aside. Reserve juice in bowl.
- Add 1/4 cup lemon juice, the salt, and tarragon to the grapefruit juice; season with pepper. Whisk in oil in a slow, steady stream. Add grapefruit sections; toss gently just to coat.
- Place each avocado half on a plate. Top with grapefruit mixture, dividing evenly. Garnish with tarragon. Serve with lime wedges.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.