Cuban Red Beans and Rice
In this easy version of a classic Cuban dish, red kidney beans are seasoned with onion, bell pepper, garlic, cumin, and oregano. If you prefer black beans, use them instead, or sprinkle the dish with cilantro.
Everyday Food, September 2010
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 35 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 white onion, diced small (1/2 cup)
- 1/4 green bell pepper, diced small (1/2 cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 can (15.5 ounces) red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium-high. Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic and cook until onion is soft, 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add cumin, oregano, and rice; stir, and cook 1 minute. Add beans and broth; stir, then season with salt and pepper. Bring mixture to a boil, then cover. Reduce to a medium simmer and cook until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.