Fideos with Seafood
This delicious seafood recipe is from "Spain: A Culinary Road Trip," featuring Mario Batali with Gwyneth Paltrow.
The Martha Stewart Show, December Winter 2008
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound fideos or angel hair pasta, broken into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon hot pimenton (Spanish smoked paprika)
- 1 can (28 ounces) whole peeled tomatoes
- 6 cups Mario Batali and Gwyneth Paltrowâ€™s Fish Stock (http://www.marthastewart.com/259023/fish-stock)
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 dried bay leaf
- Large pinch saffron threads
- 1 pound mussels, scrubbed
- 1 pound medium shrimp, in the shell
- 1 pound clams, scrubbed
- In a large Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add fideos and cook, stirring frequently until well browned, about 10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer fideos to a bowl and set aside.
- Add onion, garlic, and pimenton to pot and cook until onion begins to soften, about 5 minutes. Using your hands, break up tomatoes and add to pot along with their juices. Increase heat to high and cook, stirring frequently, until tomatoes have broken down and sauce has thickened, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place stock, wine, bay leaf, and saffron in another large Dutch oven and bring to a boil. Add mussels, shrimp, and clams and cook until all the clams and mussels have opened and shrimp is opaque, 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer mussels, shrimp, and clams to a large bowl and set aside.
- Add shellfish cooking liquid and fideos to tomato sauce. Cook, stirring frequently, until the fideos have absorbed a lot of the liquid and are soft, 10 to 15 minutes. Add mussels, shrimp, and clams and simmer until just heated through. Serve immediately.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.