Meringue Heart Ice-Cream Sandwiches
Piping meringue into hearts will be easier if you draw the shapes onto parchment paper first. We made some hearts roughly 2 3/4 inches across and others 3 1/4 inches.
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- Pinch of cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pint ice cream
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees. Put egg whites, sugar, and cream of tartar in a heatproof mixer bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Whisk constantly until egg whites are warm to the touch and sugar is dissolved (test by rubbing the mixture between your fingers), about 3 minutes.
- Transfer bowl to mixer; beat on low speed, gradually raising to high, until stiff, glossy peaks form, about 10 minutes. Mix in vanilla.
- On parchment-lined baking sheets, pipe meringue into hearts; bake until firm but not brown, 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Let cool on sheets, about 20 minutes.
- Let ice cream soften about 5 minutes. Put 1/4 cup ice cream on the flat side of half the meringue hearts. Top with remaining hearts, and freeze sandwiches until ice cream is set, about 15 minutes.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.