Serve this with our Roasted Boar (or Pork).
Martha Stewart Living, December 2009
- 2 quinces or pears, peeled, cored, and chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup each raisins, dried currants, chopped dried apricots, chopped dried figs, and chopped prunes
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- Bring all ingredients except salt and pepper to a boil in a large pot. Reduce heat, and simmer until fruit is very soft and sauce reduces, about 4 hours. Let cool slightly. Refrigerate overnight.
- Puree half the fruit mixture in a food processor until smooth. Stir puree back into fruit mixture, and season with salt and pepper. (Mostarda can be refrigerated for up to 1 week.)
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.